Subject: Good programmers/sources was: What's
From: [email-masked] (Paul Weterings)
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 94 01:27:41 GMT+1
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.programmer

In a message of 03 Sep 94 Arno Eigenwillig wrote to All:

 >> Trouble
 >> is, especially in C's case, I don't know how to go about it; I've seen
 >> books that teach C, but all the *interesting* stuff (like Amiga graphics
 >> and sound) are, naturally, not covered, being modules one must include.

 AE> I am not convinced by those "learn C on the Amiga" books. From my
 AE> personal experience in learning C, you are better of with learning plain
 AE> ANSI C from a good tutorial like K&R2 [1], and then resort to the
 AE> official OS documentation [2] from C= for Amiga-specific stuff.

I agree completely, but just to add my 2 cents: _After_ you've done all the
work on the 'standard' C and Amiga-specific code from the C= manuals, looking
to sources of other people also enlighted me quite a lot.

There are several people (some here on the net) that produce some _very_ good
code that made me learn quite a lot of things that I would never have found in
the books. Not so much the 'tips and tricks' or hardware-bashing as the way
they program, the way the code is formeed, and documented.

As a matter of speaking their freely distributable sources are sort of a
'expert manual' Even better that some others I could mention, since examples
are at hand any time ;-)

To name some of the names that stand high on my list as 'good programmers', and
of who's sources I have learned:

( In no particular order )

Olaf 'Olsen' Barthel - Term
Christian Weber      - Iff.library
Jan van den Baard    - GadToolsBox, BGUI
Markus Aalto         - Popup gadget Class

And ofcourse for the Amiga-specific-code beginners:

Anders Bjerin        - C-manual

(Only the ones who's sources I've been studying, ofcourse there are more good
programmers, but we are talking about source code here)

I can advise their source to anybody, please feel free to add some names to the
list, ofcourse I have not seen everything there is.

I often find myselve looking in their sources to see how they solved a certain
problem. Especially Term is a great program to learn from. Ofcourse one's
programmers solution doesn't have to be _the_ solution, so I prefferably
double-check somebody else's source to find a other solution to the same
problem. I very often find myselve using the program 'grep' of 'search' when
programming ;-)